Australia coronavirus live news: TGA reveals fatal clotting case; one dead in Victoria floods
The New Zealand government has cited the 15,000 close contacts of Covid-19 as it extends a ban on Victorians using quarantine-free travel.
Covid-19 Minister Chris Hipkins said New Zealand’s pause to “green zone” travel from Melbourne will continue until Thursday June 17, reports Ben McKay from AAP.
But, New Zealand has begun allowing stranded Kiwis – those who were visiting the state when the lockdown hit – to Aotearoa.
Jacinda Ardern’s government has issued an exemption for NZ citizens and regular residents to travel home, deeming their fortnight spent in lockdown to be equivalent to a fortnight spent in mandatory isolation.
The returning Kiwis must also produce a negative Covid-19 test result in the 72 hours before their flight.
Hipkins said other wannabe trans-Tasman travellers and tourists from Melbourne must wait until the government lifts its ban, and restarts the bubble.
While the overall risk to New Zealand is low, today’s advice from New Zealand public health officials is that the travel pause should continue…
The government is taking a precautionary approach in continuing the pause, which will be reviewed again next Wednesday.
Hipkins said there were still three cases among the outbreak without an epidemiological link to overseas cases, and more than 15,000 close contacts identified that may be at risk.
Anyone that has visited a location of interest in Australia is also ineligible to travel to New Zealand within 14 days of the potential exposure event.
The commander of the Victorian State Emergency Service, David Baker, said on Thursday evening that while the rain was easing the flood danger remained “dynamic”.
Baker said it had been “the busiest 24-hour period in Victorian SES history”.
The SES received 6,652 calls for assistance over the preceding 24 hours and there were 169,062 premises without power on Thursday evening. There were 5,280 reports of trees down and 829 calls to report building damage.
“The flood waters are continuing to present a problem as the rainfall comes through the system,” Baker said. “We ask Gippslanders in that west and south-west Gippsland area to be alert, to be aware of their circumstances, follow emergency services advice, keep abreast of VicEmergency warnings that come out and stay safe. Under no circumstances drive into flood waters.”
You can read the full report here:
It’s finally Friday, which means no more lockdown for Melbourne!
It’s Matilda Boseley here, and rather than leave my house and take advantage of my newfound freedom, I’m excited to man the blog, and see out the week of news with you.
Although it must be said, it isn’t all good news today.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration has reported a 52-year-old NSW woman died from a blood clot in the brain, making her the second person to do so out of 3.6 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine delivered.
Of the 48 confirmed and probable cases of people who have developed clots after receiving the vaccine, 31 have been discharged from hospital and are recovering. Fifteen remain in hospital.
Chief medical officer Paul Kelly says Australia is getting very good at diagnosing and treating the condition, reducing the chances a blood clotting incident would be fatal.
We will continue to learn from these unfortunate circumstances and will tie it into advice to all practitioners.
Kelly urged people to be informed about the early symptoms of the extremely rare condition, but no dissuaded from coming forward to get the jab.
Down south, the wild weather in Victorian that yesterday left more than 200,000 people without power, has claimed the life of one man, and put two volunteers in hospital.
Police confirmed on Thursday evening that a man, thought to be in his 60s, was found dead at Woodside in South Gippsland.
A member of the public on Thursday afternoon alerted emergency services to a vehicle “almost submerged” in floodwaters, police said in a statement. Officers attended the scene and confirmed that a man had died.
The circumstances of his death are being investigated and a report will be prepared for the coroner.
Two SES members were also taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after separate tree-related incidents.
The massive clean up effort will continue today as the state experiences the tail end of the wild weather event.
Okay, with that why don’t we jump into the day.
If there is something you reckon I’ve missed or think should be in the blog but isn’t, shoot me a message on Twitter @MatildaBoseley or email me at [email protected].