UK confirms plan for statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions

, UK confirms plan for statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions, The Nzuchi Times Guardian

Plans to end all prosecutions related to the Troubles before 1998 have been announced by the UK government.

Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland secretary, said current and future generations would be “condemned” to division, and reconciliation would be impended if the government did not act.

The package announced by Lewis includes three proposals: a new independent body that he said would focus on the recovery of information relating to Troubles-related deaths, a major “oral history” initiative and a statue of limitations.

“It is, in reality, a painful recognition of the very reality of where we are,” he told the House of Commons.

, UK confirms plan for statute of limitations on Troubles prosecutions, The Nzuchi Times Guardian

The move, details of which have been leaked, is being opposed by all five political parties that make up Northern Ireland’s devolved government, victims’ groups and the Irish government.

Boris Johnson told the House of Commons earlier that the measures being brought forward were “balanced and have a wide degree of support”, including from former Labour prime ministers.

More than 3,500 people died during the conflict, which stretched from the early 1970s to the Good Friday agreement in 1998.

More Stories
LGBTQI+ allies: the Australian teachers standing up to homophobic slurs and bullying